Thursday, January 23, 2014

Allison's Birth Story


On December 2nd I went in to labor.  That morning when i woke up, I had no idea I would be going in to labor.  I honestly woke up feeling pretty good.  I didn't dread going to class like I had been for the last few weeks of my pregnancy.  I got several tasks done around the house that I had been putting  off.  When I finished I headed over to my parents house.  I started to work on my last few assignments of the semester.  I felt as if I was going to make it to the end of the semester.  I honestly felt like she wasn't going to come until her induction date on the 19th which was a week after my due date.  Around 4:30 I got up to go to the bathroom.  When I finished I felt a gush.  I didn't know if I peed myself or my water was breaking.  I went and sat down to research if my water broke.  Clearly I was in no rush.  I was sort of in denial that I was going in to labor.  So then I proceeded to call my fiancé  several times with no answer.  Then I called my mom and told her what was happening.  She said to call my doctor.  I called and tried to get through but had no such luck since it was after 5.  I called back my mom and she said she would try calling the doctor.  She got ahold of him and he said if I walk around and continue to leak then my water definitely broke.  He also told her he would call ahead to the hospital and let them know that I am on my way.  I started to get the last few things that I  needed in my hospital bag.  My mom got home, grabbed a few things and we were out the door along with my sister.  By then it was around 6 and I was hungry!  On the whole way to the hospital we were looking for something to eat.  When ended up passing the hospital to go to whataburger.  I know it sounds completely ridiculous that we stopped and got something to eat but honestly I felt fine.  I felt no urgency.  I wasn't feeling any contractions.  I was sitting in the car eating my chicken strips sitting   on the towel I thankfully brought when I felt a gush.  My water continued to leak a lot more and frequently.  At that point we decided it was best to go to the hospital.  Once there they wheeled me up to labor and delivery.  I was okay with walking but not okay with leaking all over the hospital.  Once I got in my room I changed in to my hospital gown.  My nurse Melissa checked my cervix and I was dilated  to a 3 and 90% effaced if I remember correctly.  She asked how I was feeling and I said I was feeling fine and didn't feel any contractions.  She said I was having contractions about every 5 minutes.  My doctor told her to give me pictocin to speed up and increase the strength of my contractions.  Since they were pretty busy she decided to wait a bit to give it to me since I was progressing nicely on my own.  When she came back to give me the pictocin I still wasn't feeling any contractions.  As soon as she give it to me though, I felt them.  I have never experienced a pain like that before.  When she came back she gave me something that was supposed to dull the pain.  She said it would take 5 to 15 minutes to start working.  I was about to cry.  My mom called my nurse back in for my epidural.  It took about 15 minutes for the anesthesiologist to finally come in.  By that time I was upset because my fiancée still wasn't there and I was in so much pain.  Eventually my fiancé arrived during the epidural.  My mom and him switched places.  I felt so much better after the epidural.  After the epidural it was smooth sailing.  The epidural did slow down my contraptions but it still only took me 45 minutes of using and then Miss Allison was here!  It was the best feeling in the world.  I was happy, delirious, and tired.  I had so many mixed emotions.  She was here.
Ally and the bow

Right after she was born

Asleep in our hospital room

Allison and Mommy

My sweet baby

Ally on the way home

No comments:

Post a Comment